Tuesday, February 21

Happy Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month (and with sympathetic apologies to Academy Award winner Morgan Freeman), I’d like to share my Top 5 Things I Love About Black People:

5. The phrase “I heard that.”

As those who know me are aware, I have long used the statement “Fair enough” as an all purpose response to nearly anything people throw at me. Black people get to use this phrase in a similar fashion.

4. The phrase “You [or I] know that’s right.”

See above.

3. Their tireless efforts at showing the rest of what's cool (or what will be cool in 2 years).

Thank you, black people.

2. The term “African-American,” the term that no black people use.

Only white people and talking heads use the term. I think somebody (Cornel West?) made up this term just so black people could watch white people pause uncomfortably while they think “Should I say ‘black’ or ‘African American’”?

1. The fact that they haven’t joined forces with American Indians and overthrown the country.

Seriously. Lord knows they’re probably entitled.

3 Comments:

Blogger Juanita said...

N.E.E., shouldn't you modify your comment to read "African Americans and Native Americans?"

6:04 AM  
Blogger not jentrification said...

god bless you not jennifer gibbs. black people love you too.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Most black people have soul. They can say things like, "I know THAT'S right!" that white people should not say. It's never right coming from a white person, trying to sound hip like a black person. Regarding your #2 point, I refuse to say "African American" in conversation. For one thing, they could be Carribean American, you never know. In any case, I think it sounds overly politically correct, and therefore incorrect.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home